Current:Home > reviews2 teenage suspects arrested in series of shootings across Charlotte, North Carolina -Prime Capital Blueprint
2 teenage suspects arrested in series of shootings across Charlotte, North Carolina
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 18:05:36
North Carolina police have arrested two teen suspects in connection with a series of five shootings in the Charlotte area early Tuesday morning that officials believe are connected. One person was killed.
The suspects, 18-year-old Carlos Roberto Diaz and a 16-year-old boy, were separately arrested Thursday, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officials said at a news conference Thursday afternoon. Both are expected to face multiple charges, including first-degree murder, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Johnny Jennings said.
Officers who were patrolling the areas where the shootings had taken place early Thursday morning noticed a vehicle exhibiting "suspicious behavior" and pulled it over for a traffic stop, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Deputy Chief Tonya Arrington told reporters. Police determined the driver and lone occupant, a 16-year-old, to be a suspect in the shootings and took him into custody.
A stolen firearm was also found in the vehicle, Arrington disclosed, adding, "We have reason to believe that the 16-year-old juvenile intended on continuing his violent crime spree."
Diaz was then taken into custody early Thursday afternoon.
"Our officers were in the right area in the right time, knowing what to look for, and being proactive," Arrington said of how the suspects were captured.
Investigators have not identified additional suspects at this time, Arrington added. Police did not say how the two suspects are connected.
There is no indication that the shootings were gang-related, Arrington said, and so far three of the shootings have been "forensically linked." Investigators still do not have a possible motive.
"We're still asking the same questions. Why would two juveniles engage in this type of behavior on random victims?" Arrington said, adding that "this is random and completely unusual."
Police responded to the first reported shooting at around 1:05 a.m. on Tuesday, July 9. A man inside his vehicle had a gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at the scene. The victim, identified by CBS News affiliate WBTV as Mustaffa Muhammad, 58, is believed to have been shot by someone driving by, police said.
Several more shooting incidents were reported in the next half hour. A bicyclist called police to say that he had been shot at around 1:09 a.m., and another victim's car was struck by gunfire "a short time later." Neither person was injured.
Officers also responded to a party where a group of individuals said a person in a vehicle had fired multiple rounds in their direction at around 1:11 a.m. No one at the party was shot, but a nearby home was struck and a woman inside sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
At 1:25 a.m., police responded to another report from a cyclist who was shot and sustained non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Nearby, another home had been struck by gunfire, with no injuries reported.
The injured woman and cyclist were both transferred to Charlotte's Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center, police said.
"It's nerve-racking. You know, thinking that someone can just drive past or, you know, if we're driving somewhere, someone can do something like that to us or our kids," an anonymous parent told WBTV.
The department previously told WBTV that it was investigating tips that came in on Wednesday afternoon. A $10,000 reward is being offered for any information that leads to an arrest.
A press conference is expected to be held on Thursday afternoon.
- In:
- Shooting
- North Carolina
- Crime
Kerry Breen is a news editor at CBSNews.com. A graduate of New York University's Arthur L. Carter School of Journalism, she previously worked at NBC News' TODAY Digital. She covers current events, breaking news and issues including substance use.
TwitterveryGood! (97897)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- First Lady Rosalynn Carter's legacy on mental health boils down to one word: Hope
- The Best 91 Black Friday Deals of 2023 From Nordstrom, Walmart, Target and So Much More
- Mexico rights agency says soldiers fired ‘without reason’ in border city in 2022, killing a man
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- South Louisiana pipe fabricator’s planned expansion is expected to create 32 new jobs
- The Best Thanksgiving TV Episodes and Movies to Watch As You Nurse Your Food Hangover
- Retailers offer big deals for Black Friday but will shoppers spend?
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Daniel Noboa is sworn in as Ecuador’s president, inheriting the leadership of a country on edge
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- All the Reasons to Be Thankful for Ina Garten and Husband Jeffrey's Delicious Love Story
- German police raid homes of 20 alleged supporters of far-right Reich Citizens scene
- Fiji’s leader says he hopes to work with China in upgrading his country’s shipyards and ports
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Fiji’s leader says he hopes to work with China in upgrading his country’s shipyards and ports
- Shadowy Hamas leader in Gaza is at top of Israel’s hit list after last month’s deadly attack
- Train derails, spills chemicals in remote part of eastern Kentucky
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Man won $50 million from Canadian Lottery game and decided to go back to work next day
Walmart shooter who injured 4 in Ohio may have been motivated by racial extremism, FBI says
Former St. Louis alderman in fraud case also charged with lying to police
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Stellantis recalls more than 32,000 hybrid Jeep Wrangler SUVs because of potential fire risk
Sweet potato memories: love 'em, rely on 'em ... hate 'em
French military to contribute 15,000 soldiers to massive security operation for Paris Olympics